Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blog #5 Save The Last Dance

Save the Last Dance is a film that was produced in 2001. Starring Julia Stiles, Sara Johnson is an aspiring ballerina who is auditioning with hope to get into Juilliard but when her mother is killed in a car crash on the way to the audition, Sara gives up on ballet for good. She then moves in with her father in a predominately black neighborhood and she must figure out how to fit in. Sara befriends a girl at her new school show is a teen mother and is introduced to the girl's brother Derek. Sara and Derek begin dancing together, and he is trying to help her remember her dreams about Juilliard. They have a fight when Derek's ex girlfriend accuses Sara of taking one of the only descent black men in the school and eventually break up. Still wanting to audition, Sara goes to her try out where Derek surprises her and she preforms at her best.

If I were to rewrite this film with a nonwhite role, I would probably cast someone that is Hispanic for the role of Sara because I don't think that I have ever seen a Latina ballerina. I would create interest by changing the black school to a white school and have almost a reverse racism effect. Having a white dominating male lead with a Hispanic female lead would create something different than the original.

I talked about my changes with a white and a non white friend and while the non white friend liked the changes, my white friend was almost offended that I would even dare to change the film. She thought that creating a white student against the Hispanic dancer would be negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment